This recipe I mastered last year & its been one of my go to’s for when I want a quick filling dinner or lunch. Its so tasty you won’t even realize its vegan!
Before I started eating more plant-based, this was one of the sandwiches I enjoyed. Its always cool to veganize dishes that I used to eat. This recipe is great for people with medium to expert level cooking experience!
Makes up to 4 adult servings which equals to 4 sandwiches each. Double the recipe to increase the quantity.
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 30 minutes
1 can of jackfruit
1/4 cup of minced garlic
1/2 cup of sliced bell peppers ( choose whatever color you like)
1/2 cup sliced white onions
1/2 cup of soy sauce ( or use liquid amino’s to keep it soy-free)
1/4 cup of grape seed to oil (for sauté)
4-5 slices of American Style Vegan Cheese (I used the Daiya brand)
Hoagie Rolls/Sub Rolls ( I used Italian & Herb flavored ones)
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1/4 tbs sea salt
1/4 tbs black pepper
1/2 tbs oregano
1/4 onion salt
Skillet Pan works best (regular sauté pans can work as well)
1. Slice bell peppers & yellow onions & place in a bowl.
2. Open can of jackfruit & place in a bowl, then break it up with an fork until it looks like shredded meat.
3. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
4. Heat a skillet pan on medium high heat, add grape seed oil.
5. Sauté onions, peppers, garlic in a pan until soft.
6. Add jackfruit & sauté until it begins to brown then & liquid amino’s & stir well. The jackfruit will start to look like “steak”.
7. Next you will add all seasonings to the pan, garlic powder, salt, oregano, black pepper.
8. Take 4-5 slices of the vegan cheese & add it on top of the pan until it covers all the “steak”.
9. Heat a separate pan up & toast the hoagie rolls face down in a lil bit of oil about 1/4 cup. Once toasted set aside.
10. Take your philly cheesesteak & place in the oven for 6-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
11. Once cheese is melted on the “steaks”, take it out oven.
12. Take the hoagie rolls & fill each one with the cheesesteak mixture.
13. Plate them up then eat & enjoy!
This is my simple step by step tutorial for how to make my classic vegan Philly cheesesteak. Super tasty, & take less than 15 ingredients total. Share this with your friends & family I know they’ll love it.
I am Chef Lonnie.G I have been Vegan for 4 years & been building my chef brand since 2019. I have always had a love for cooking & baking ever since I was a young teenager. I have Carribean roots & alot of meals are inspired by what I ate growing up & the different places I have traveled through out my life. I’m always looking to expand, experiment, & teach new ways on how to expand our palates & still eat healthy meals. I have a variety services I offer such as Meal Prep, Private Chef, Virtual Cooking Classes.