A delicious creamy smoothie; but, for the hair and skin! Made with ingredients straight from the kitchen for natural nourishment all over.
Summer is approaching, which means we want to let out natural hair down and show off our healthy glowing skin! This hair and body smoothie is perfect for treating winter dryness and reviving our natural glow! The best part is, just like a regualr smoothie this can be made with ingredients already in your kitchen. When making DIY treatments, the ingredients and measurements can be altered to treat YOUR HAIR & SKIN the way you like it!
- 1/2 cup Fresh Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is a miracle plant for the hair and skin! It soothes razor burn, bug bites, eczema, sunburn, dry skin, acne, dry skin, dry scalp, dry hair, split ends and much more! It’s the superstar of this smoothie for sure!
- 1/4 cup of Raw Honey – Honey is a natural humectant, meaning it draws in moisture from the environment. Long lasting moisturization paired with its ability to add shine makes honey a perfect addition to this smoothie!
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Cream ( I use Native Forest Brand) – Coconut cream acts as a natural moisturizer and conditioner.
- 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive or Coconut Oil – a good oil brings the benefits of conditioning and nourishing the hair & skin as well as sealing the hair strands & skin to lock in all this MOISTURE and LOVE.
- 1/2 cup of Fresh Strawberries (about 4 small strawberries) – Strawberries are high in antioxidants and vitamin C which makes them good for boosting hair growth and glowing skin.
- Wash & cut the outside leaf of the Aloe Vera on both ends and both sides.
- Then, cut as closely to the leaf as possible to retrieve only the clear Aloe Vera Gel from inside.
- Rinse and place the chunk of Aloe Vera Gel into a bowl of spring water for 20 minutes ( make sure the Aloe is completely submerged). This step is extremely important in order to remove the somewhat poisonous part of the plant called Aloe Latex (Yellow Liquid between the gel and the leaf) which can cause itching and extreme irritation to the skin !!!!
- Place all your ingredients into a blender & blend until you get a smoothie consistency.
- Hop in the shower, wash, & shampoo as usual.
- Apply the smoothie to CLEAN hair making sure to cover the hair from root to ends.
- Twist hair into two or more twist and cover hair with a plastic shower cap to trap the steam.
- Allow the smoothie to sit in your hair for around 10 minutes.
- While waiting proceed with shaving, a body scrub, dancing, singing or whatever you wish.
- About a minute before rinsing your hair, apply the smoothie onto the body and smooth into the skin.
- Rinse your hair and body very thoroughly making sure to get all of the smoothie out.
- Detangle hair whilst washing out the smoothie allowing the water and gravity to assist.
- OPTIONAL: If you have thin, fine, or straight hair you may need to do an extra shampoo to remove access moisture or simply reverse the steps by apply the smoothie first, then shampoo, and conditioner after. For my thick, long, curly, & kinky headed kings and queens a thorough rinse will suffice.
- Proceed with your regular hair and skin routine!
For my thick, long, and 3C/4A curly crown I proceeded to dry my hair with a microfiber cloth, massage my scalp with some castor oil, and apply a small amount of castor oil to my ends as well. I then moisturized my body and let my hair air dry for the remainder of the day!
This Smoothie made my hair and skin extremely soft and nourished. It left my wash and go hair so fluffy and bouncy yet deeply moisturized with a nice shine!
Nala Asa Shakur
Tyler A. Norman who now goes by Nala Asa Shakur is the CEO of The All Natural as well as the author of Love Starts Here. She’s a multifaceted creator & healer serving through various forms of artistry. Her ways of expression range from being an author, philosopher, model, holistic health guide, creative director, to a Kitchen alchemist . Through her work and her movement, #Naturalisthewaytoglow™, she inspires and assist others with personal growth, self-love, holistic healing, and finding an inner glow.
Want to try a thicker creamier hair mask? Check out our DIY Avocado Deep Conditioner!