A quick and easy herbal infused hair gel for the natural hair kings and queens; leaving the crown of curls softly defined and the edges laid!
Whether your’e going for a soft, fluffy, and defined Wash & Go, a smooth slick back pony, or nicely swooped and laid edges, this DIY Flax Seed Gel is the perfect natural hair hack! It’s super quick and simple plus it’s made from natures pure ingredients; making it that much more fitting for the NATURALS!
- 1 1/2 Cups of Spring water – Spring water is best used due to it being free from many chemicals and harder minerals making it more gentle on the hair.
- 1/4 Cup of Whole Golden Flax Seeds – Flax Seeds are extremely beneficial for the hair as it increases the elasticity, prevents split ends, strengthens the hair strands, helps sooth dandruff and dry scalp, increases hair growth, adds shine, and helps define each curl/wave/coil!
- 1/4 Cup of Organic Rose Petals – Roses are a beautiful herb to incorporate into DIY hair products due to HYDRATE and balance the hairs PH!
- 1/4 Cup of Organic Rose Hips – Rose hips provide essential fatty acids, antioxidants, Vitamins, and an anti inflammatory effect, making it beneficial for a healthy scalp and increased hair growth!
- 10 Drops of Rose Essential Oil – Rose Essential oil is packed with many nourishing vitamins similar to the rose petals providing an extra boost! Plus it creates a beautiful aroma for lovely smelling hair!
- 6-8 Drops of Vanilla Essential Oil – Vanilla Essential oil is also packed with many vitamins but mainly used for the scent in this recipe!
- In a small pot bring 1 1/2 cups of Spring Water to a simmer.
- Add 1/4 cup of Rose Petals and Rose Hips to the water and let the herbs infuse in the water while stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of Flax Seeds to the mixtures and stir.
- Let the mixture simmer for another 5-10 minutes occasionally stirring.
- Use a fork to check the texture of the mixture. Once it has a runny texture and is no longer pure liquid, remove the pot from the stove.
- While the gel is still hot pour the mixture through a strainer into a separate bowl. (This step can also be done by waiting till the gel has cooled down and pouring the mixture into a cheesecloth or pair of tights and squeezing the gel out into a bowl)
- Wait till the gel has cooled down then proceed with adding the essential oils. (Feel free to use different essential oil for a different scent!)
Wash & Go
- WASH, CONDITION, and DETANGLE hair as usual.
- OPTIONAL Moisturize wet hair with a butter or cream (This gel can be used on its own depending on your hair porosity and texture).
- Rake the gel all throughout wet/damp hair, making sure to the include the ends!
- Let the hair air dry and/or diffuse hair until dry.
- Once dry use a light carrier oil such as: Almond, Olive, Coconut, or Argan Oil to break the gel cast. Carefully rubbing a small amount of oil between the hands and using prayer hands to smooth out the curls from root to ends.
This gel can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week and used to redefine curls, tame fly aways, lay edges, and even slick the hair back into that end of the week ponytail or bun!
This DIY Vanilla Rose Flax Seed Gel is perfect for the kings and queens who want a healthy, nourished, shiny, and defined crown THE NATURAL WAY!
Nala Asa Shakur
Tyler A. Norman who now goes by Nala Asa Shakur is the CEO of The All Natural as well as the author of Love Starts Here. She’s a multifaceted creator & healer serving through various forms of artistry. Her ways of expression range from being an author, philosopher, model, holistic health guide, creative director, to a Kitchen alchemist . Through her work and her movement, #Naturalisthewaytoglow™, she inspires and assist others with personal growth, self-love, holistic healing, and finding an inner glow.
Want more DIY natural hair nourishment? Try this Strawberries & Cream Hair & Skin Smoothie!