One of my favorite hand held foods. Empanadas are a staple in many cultures across the world. You can fill them & serve them so many ways. Miami really exposed me to the different varieties of these. Many small Mom & Pop shops have these & they taste immaculate. I wanted to recreate my own version!
This a simple recipe that most people with cooking experience can make. You won’t be able to get enough of these, a must have in your recipe bag!
Serves 6 double recipe for more servings.
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
6 empanada doughs
4 cups of spinach
1 cup of mushroom
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
sprinkle of parsley for presentation
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon vegan butter (melted)
1 cup of vegan cheese (mozzarella is what I used)
1/3 cup of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Sauté garlic & mushrooms in grape seed oil until fragrant & soft.
4. Add in spinach & cook until spinach is thoroughly sautéed.
5. Add spinach to a bowl & mix in the vegan cheese. Add seasonings in to the spinach & set aside.
6. Flour a cutting board or smooth surface & lightly flour empanadas on each side.
7. Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of spinach mixture into the empanada.
8. Fold empanada in half & press the edges with a fork to seal it.
9. Place the empanadas on a sheet tray with parchment & lightly brush with vegan butter.
10. Bake for 15 mins on 375. Let cool for 10 mins.
11. Plate up eat & enjoy!
This is the recipe I used to make these tasty Savory Spinach Empanadas. Add this to your weekly rotation!
I am Chef Lonnie.G I have been Vegan for 5 years & been building my chef brand since 2019. I have always had a love for cooking & baking ever since I was a young teenager. I have Carribean roots & alot of meals are inspired by what I ate growing up & the different places I have traveled through out my life. I’m always looking to expand, experiment, & teach new ways on how to expand our palates & still eat healthy meals. I have a variety services I offer such as Meal Prep, Private Chef, Virtual Cooking Classes.
Want a new dessert? Check out our Miami Mango Sorbet!