One of the most iconic Jamaican foods you can eat.
As a kid I ate these all the time with a refreshing champagne cola. Very nostalgic for me but y’all know I had to put my vegan twist on it!
This is an intermediate recipe that is a bit of a challenge but still one anyone can learn.
Serves 5 people
Double Recipe for more servings
Prep 30 minutes
Cook 15 mins
1/2 cup of diced yellow onions
1/4 cup of chopped garlic
8 cups of walnuts finely chopped
4 tablespoons of jerk seasoning/paste
sprinkle of black pepper, paprika, sea salt
1 pack of empanada doughs
1.5 liters of grape seed oil (about a bottle & half)
1 cup of ap flour
1. Soak walnuts in hot water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain off water from walnuts & rough chop into fine pieces or blend them.
3. Sauté onions & garlic in a hot sauté pan with oil. Cook until veggies are soft.
4. Add the walnut meat & the jerk paste,
5. Cook on medium heat & mix everything well.
6. Add seasonings at the end once walnut meat is cooked.
7. Pour the grapeseed oil into a pot & turn on fire to high.
8. Spread some flour on a flat surface.
9. Lightly dip the empanada doughs in the flour.
10. Add the walnut meat to the doughs, fold over in half press with a fork on the edges to seal it.
11. Brush with melted butter.
12. Fry until golden brown about 2-3 mins.
13. Drain on paper towel & let cool.
14. Eat & enjoy!
This is the recipe I used to make these fire Jamaican Beef Patties. Super tasty definitely add this to your rotation!
I am Chef Lonnie.G I have been Vegan for 5 years & been building my chef brand since 2019. I have always had a love for cooking & baking ever since I was a young teenager. I have Carribean roots & alot of meals are inspired by what I ate growing up & the different places I have traveled through out my life. I’m always looking to expand, experiment, & teach new ways on how to expand our palates & still eat healthy meals. I have a variety services I offer such as Meal Prep, Private Chef, Virtual Cooking Classes.
You must log in to post a comment.