A new found favorite of mine since last year. One of the best go to recipes when you need a quick lunch. Minimal ingredients, but a lot of flavor & great source of plant-based protein & nutrients.
Growing up I use to love eating tuna especially on sandwiches & in wraps, it was one of the easiest things to make. This plant-based version is just as tasty if not better. The texture is on point as well & very similar to the real thing. Great recipe for beginner culinarians.
Serves 4 total. To increase the amount, add more toasted bread & the other toppings for the sandwich.
Prep 15 mins
Cook Time 15 Mins
1 can of chickpeas
2 slices of whole grain bread
1/4 cup of diced red onions
1 whole tomato sliced in 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup of diced celery
1/4 cup of rough chopped parsley
1/2 cup of vegan mayonnaise
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of black pepper
1/4 tablespoon of oregano
1/2 head of romain lettuce sliced
1 tablespoon of hummus
handful of plantain chips (optional)
1. Toast whole grain bread & set aside.
2. Drain the liquid from canned chickpeas & place in a bowl.
3. Mash chickpeas with a fork until it has a thick creamy consistency. (You can also put them in a food processor & get the same result).
4. Rough chop parsley & add it to the bowl with chickpeas.
5. Dice the red onions & add to the bowl.
6. Dice the celery & add to the bowl.
7. Add in the vegan mayo to the bowl.
8. Mix everything until well combined.
9. Add the nutritional yeast & the seasonings to the chickpea tuna. Mix well.
10. Slice tomatoes in 1 inch slices & set aside.
11. Cut romaine lettuce & set aside.
12. Spread the hummus on to the toasted bread.
13. Build the sandwich: add the lettuce, tomato, chickpea tuna & close the sandwich.
14. Serve with plantain chips or your chips of choice. Eat & enjoy!
This is the step by step tutorial on how to make the Chickpea Tuna Sandwich. Very simple & anyone can do it! Can’t wait to see how y’all enjoy this.
I am Chef Lonnie.G I have been Vegan for 4 years & been building my chef brand since 2019. I have always had a love for cooking & baking ever since I was a young teenager. I have Carribean roots & alot of meals are inspired by what I ate growing up & the different places I have traveled through out my life. I’m always looking to expand, experiment, & teach new ways on how to expand our palates & still eat healthy meals. I have a variety services I offer such as Meal Prep, Private Chef, Virtual Cooking Classes.